Introduction and Welcome
Welcome to the American High School family. I am your child's Special Education Resource Teacher. I have been a Special Education Teacher for over 15 years.
I graduated with a Bachelor’s of Science in Education from Northwestern University, a Masters in Interdisciplinary Arts Education from Columbia College, with post-graduate work at Stanford, & San Francisco State University. I have previously taught in San Francisco, Chicago, Oakland, and for the Navajo Tribal Schools in Ramah, New Mexico as part of the Northwestern University Ethnographic Field School Exchange. I have Clear California Teaching Certifications in: Secondary Social Studies + Art, Special Education, Cross-Cultural and Language Development (CLAD), and Autism Education. For two summers, I was granted summer internships with the Industry Initiatives for Math and Science Educators (IISME) programs and returned to work in a Silicon Valley company.
Prior to re-entering the Education field in 2003, I worked for 20 years in High Tech & Information Systems, directing corporate personal computing resources for technical companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, and Industrial Light + Magic. I use this work experience as examples in my teaching to develop 21st century skills, so that students are prepared for the real work world awaiting them on high school graduation.
I look forward to working with you so that together we can help your child have a happy, successful time in American High School.
Janine Von Furst
- Stanford University
- San Francisco State University
- Columbia College
- Northwestern University
- National University
Grants, Honors, Service
- 2015-2016 Mentor Teacher for new Special Education teachers.
- 2013 Recipient, Grants from Philanthropic Ventures Foundation and Civil Service Employees Insurance Group (CSE) Teacher Grant
- 2012, 2011 Fellow, Industry Initiatives for Science and Math Education (IISME)
- 2011 Member, CMA Standard Setting Committee for Geometry, California Department of Education and Educational Testing Service (ETS)
- 2008 Fremont Unified Special Education Recognition Award
- 2007 Fremont Unified Special Education Recognition Award
- 2006 – 2016 Recipient, Classroom Grants from Donor’s Choose.org