...American HS & Thornton JHS in collaboration. We encourage students to start in junior high school. If you don’t start in junior high school, then sign up for a world language in high school. Registration begins in late February!
...Highly-qualified teachers who actively participate in their students’ whole academic experience.
- Teachers find opportunities for students to practice their language skills in the community.
- Students go on field trips, such as to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, museums (SF MOMA/Oakland/SJ), cafés, taquerías & restaurants.
- Students participate in cultural activities on a regular basis.
- Students also have the opportunity to participate in contests (French National Contest, consulate, professional) and other events to demonstrate their language proficiency.
- Students use “realia” or authentic materials, newspaper articles, pictures, movies, short video & music clips, literature & technology in the classroom for student to learn & to demonstrate acquisition of language.
- Teachers facilitate students in peer tutoring and other intervention activities, such as one-on-one assistance, group tutoring, parent-teacher conferences.
- Level 1 through Honors /Advanced Placement in French (4H, 5AP, 6 Civilization & Culture of the French-speaking World); Spanish 1-3, AP Spanish Language & Culture; Levels 1-4 in Mandarin Chinese.
10 REASONS TO TAKE A WORLD LANGUAGE
- Make new friends and expand your mind.
- Become a more globally-viable businessperson.
- Understand the world and your own language better.
- Study, travel, & work abroad.
- Gain a competitive edge in a global economy.
- Discover other cultures beyond your world.
- Improve your skills in your own language & other subjects.
- Increase your results in standardized tests.
- Meet college recommendations (at least 3 years of the same language for limited proficiency; 4 years preferred, including Honors/AP.)
- Receive a California State Seal of Biliteracy.