Skip to main content

Dream Act for Undocumented Students

Dream Act and AB 130/131/540

AB 540 – Access to College for ALL!

AB 540 allows qualified undocumented students to be exempt from paying significantly higher out-of-state tuition at public colleges and universities in California. By making college more affordableAB 540 has had a significant impact on the lives of many undocumented students who have dreams of attending college.

Students are eligible for the AB 540 exemption if they meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • Attend a California high school for 3 or more years;

  • Graduate from a California high school or receive the equivalent, such as a GED;

  • Submit an affidavit (a written promise) to the California public college or university where they are attending or plan to attend. In this statement students declare that they meet all AB 540 requirements and if they are undocumented, that they have filed an application to adjust their immigration status or will do so as soon as they are eligible to do so.  A sample affidavit can be found here. If you are an undocumented student, you are not alone. MALDEF encourages you to pursue your educational aspirations. You CAN go to college! It is more important than ever for undocumented students to take advantage of this valuable educational opportunity 

  •  AB 130 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive non-state funded scholarships for public colleges and universities.  AB 131 allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, community college fee waivers, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant.



Dream Act Student Forms

Undocumented Seniors fill out forms to apply for Dream Act benefits.  Undocumented Seniors fill out a Dream Act Financial Aid application.  (not the FAFSA but looks just like it) ASAP. No social security number is required. It is due by March 2nd just like the FAFSA.  More information is here.  

Your counselor will be happy to help you with these forms if you need help. See you counselor at lunch or after school. 


Learn about the Dream Act from students who are living the dream. Check out this site: The Dream is Now!


Other Resources for Students and Families

Undocumented Students, learn about Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Here is the official site to start your proceedings. If accepted, you may be able to get a work permit and drivers license. 

Thank you to Kennedy High School's Career and College Specialist, Janelle Coleman, for allowing us to post her useful collection of resources.